Monday 28 April 2014

Chapter Seven: Release






I’m staring at the discoloured ceiling, trying to imagine that I’m elsewhere, concentrating hard on the stain above me; narrowing my eyes and straining with focus, in hopes that I will somehow leave my body and float away.  But alas I am still present in room seven, and painfully aware of the clammy monk, his weight bearing down on me as he debases me, his grunts are short and hostile in my ear, akin to his thrusting. I dig my nails into his back and moan; he pulls his face from the nape of my neck and stares into my eyes, a vulgar expression plastered across his weasel-like face. He’s a young man, perhaps only several years older than I, but his youth does not compensate for his eerie demeanour, one which makes my skin crawl. He has dyed blue hair cropped short, and studs through both cheeks, both of which are a symbol of his creed. 

He speeds up his thrusting, and I dig my nails in harder. I long to look away, to bury my face in the pillow and pretend this isn’t happening, but I don’t believe that will win me much favour, so instead I wrap my legs around him and push myself upwards to meet his thrusts. ‘Oh yes... don’t stop....’ I gasp in what I hope is a wanton tone. ‘Umm...you feel so good inside me.’ I continue. This appears to have the desired effect, as a satisfied smirk breaks out across his narrow features. I look him straight in the eye and smile back, moaning and groaning at an increased volume; I pray to Freisa that his pleasure will peek soon.  I start to exaggerate my momentum, my body slapping against his thin frame. He’s staring at my face in wonder, my facade a stroke to his ego. I imagine a man as plain as he has often been over looked when it comes to matters of the heart, so if he can derive a few moments of self worth from our encounter then perhaps I have done some good.   

 I twist myself underneath his frame, flipping myself onto my stomach. ‘Make love to me from behind.’ I gasp, wiggling my buttocks at him, I look over my shoulder at his elated face, his expression causing me to laugh. I start to remember what Nila said the first time we met: take what pleasure you can, and own it. I’m beginning to realise how sound her advice was. The monk clamps his soft hands around my waist and pushes his length into me, I whimper as his thighs slam against my buttocks. He withdraws quickly then plunges back in, bleating as he does so. ‘Oh yes..harder..harder.. fuck me harder’ I murmur, rocking backwards on all fours to greet his irregular thrusts. He reaches around me and fumbles at my breast, pawing at it with unskilled hands. At this point I bury my face into the pillow and scream with aggravation, hoping that he mistakes it for enjoyment. He speeds up his pace, panting and moaning with every drive of his hips. I cling onto the bed sheets and keep my face hidden in the pillow, screaming every time he slaps against me. My mind begins to wander and it’s not long before I’m thinking of Captain Reve.

‘Do you like that?’ The monk says feebly between his moans.

  ‘It feels so good.’ I lie ‘You feel so good, please don’t stop!’ I cry out, wrapping the edges of the pillow around my face.

His propulsions begin to regulate, and I move along with him in rhythm. But I’m thinking about the delicious length of Reve’s cock, and how cruel he was to deny me last night. Reve’s expression of pleasure is far more strident than this pitiful monk’s, and I imagine the feel of his dick is far more fulfilling. I can picture his weather beaten face screwed up in ecstasy, I imagine it is his cock inside me, fucking me, and it’s making the situation much more enjoyable. I moan loudly, moving my head from side to side.

‘Harder, harder, harder.’ I chant. To which he happily complies, the hammering I’m taking is causing my head to spin, which is an advantage as it makes my fantasy all the more vivid. So much so that I have to bite my tongue to stop from calling the Captains name. ‘You’re such a big man...fuck me with your great hard cock... fuck me!’ I shriek, half from thrill and half from frustration.

My words appear to tip him over the edge. His body shudders behind me and he lets out a measly yelp, his thrusting slowing down, until he’s stopped, his breathing a ragged mess.  I push myself up onto my hands and look over my shoulder at the sweaty blue haired boy; his eyes are shut tight and his head thrown back, he appears to be reciting something, faintly so I cannot make out the words. I smile at his look of serenity, I feel like patting myself on the back, to celebrate a job well done.

The monk pulls himself from between my sticky legs and rocks back onto his haunches. I can feel his seed trickling down the inside of my thighs, I must remember to get Mara to mix me up a potion. I flip over onto my back and smile, lifting my foot up to his chest and playfully jabbing him, he catches it and kisses my toes. ‘If you satisfy your god half as well as you do a mere mortal, then you my love are destined for greatness.’  I feint in a sing song tone.

He laughs, a strange spluttering sound. ‘You are too kind Rosalyn.’ He looks away from me, his cheeks turning red, he is unaccustomed to flattery.

‘And you are a marvel!’ I cry, laughing at how blatant the lie was. ‘Lunithia must be proud to have such  a fine apostle. I believe you will send the other gods mad with jealousy ’ I hope my mockery is not obvious to him. I have no desire to hurt, but my belief in the gods, beyond a conjecture, is about as strong as my belief in the boy’s sexual prowess.

‘You tease me?’ He questions meekly, a sadness lurking behind his eyes.

‘No, no.’ I push myself up, suddenly feeling cruel, and run my fingers over his slight chest. ‘Please don’t be offended, my knowledge on godly matters is somewhat...limited.’ He looks at me and smiles shyly, then leans forward as if to kiss me. I quickly draw back from his reach.

‘Oh...’ He looks away again, embarrassed. ‘You speak like an unbeliever. The ones who lack faith tend to revert to mockery; it is their way of dealing with a concept greater than themselves.’

‘Greater? There is nothing great about the gods, they have done nothing for me.’ I swallow hard and  draw my knees up to my chest.

‘And why should they? You mock them, and doubt their very existence. How can one expect instant prosperity when you offer nothing in return?’ He hauls himself to the edge of the bed and stands, turning to face me. ‘I have devoted my life to the worship of Lunithia, and look what I’ve been granted.’ He’s stood in front of me naked and waving his arms around, as if in the middle of some mummers play. ‘The great talent of elemental manipulation. Because I am so pious in my devotion she has helped me excel in the art of combustion, so much so that I have been called to The First City to serve Lord Erwin himself!’ Such a change in attitude from the once timid boy, he is obviously confident in his abilities, more so than his love making.

‘Well you’ve converted me.’ I hold my hands up in mock defeat.

His pierced cheeks grow red and anger flashes across his pointy face. ‘You are a whore and I am a man of standing and extreme power. Tell me, who do you think is victorious? The unbeliever or the faithful?’

This would be intimidating if it wasn’t so comical, I glance down at his flaccid phallus and smirk. ‘Well that depends on the game we’re playing; If it’s ‘who can be the most pompous prick in the room’, then you win, hands down.’ I smile broadly, amused by his ire.

‘Such disrespect.’ He says, quietly shaking his head. ‘You will amount to nothing more; I believe your full potential has been reached here, in this brothel.’ He turns his back on me and treads across the room to his crumpled robes, tugging the azure mantle down over his head.

I shunt forward and let my legs hang over the edge of the bed, swinging them like a carefree child. The angry monk reaches into his robes, produces a bullion coin and marches over to the nightstand slamming it down.

‘You are in my debt Ser, by two bullions.’ I nod down at the lone coin and smile.

Flustered, he gropes around in his large pocket, scowling at me as he produces another two coins. ‘You are not worth a bronze coin more!’

I can’t help but laugh at his proclamation; I believe a few minutes ago he would have given me all of Wyran. ‘Now who’s being disrespectful?.... Perhaps you will amount to nothing more than a whoremonger, your sexual potential reached in a brothel; perhaps we are not that dissimilar?’ I finish the jibe with a wide smile. How can he think himself better than I?

His scowl is so theatrical that it does not cause me harm; breathing heavily he turns on his heels and stomps to the door. ‘Good bye Rosalyn, enjoy your life’ He murmurs through gritted teeth.

‘Good bye mighty sorcerer. Oh how I tremble in the wake of your greatness!’ I call as he yanks open the door. He turns around for one last deadly stare and nearly collides with Del, who is stood firm in the doorway, steps aside and holds out his arm for the monk to pass.     

‘You should teach her a thing or two about etiquette; no one likes a cynical whore.’ The monk whines.

‘I am terribly sorry. My good fellow let me offer you a drink, on the house. And I promise I shall chastise the girl within an inch of her life!’ He glances at me as he says this, his eyes sparkling. ‘Mortified, I am positively mortified.’ He sucks air through his teeth and shakes his head as if grief-stricken by my actions.

The monks nods his reply and heads out onto the landing, he does not deign to look back.

Del stands still in the doorway, still shaking his head. ‘Oh Ros, what are we to do with you?’ He moves into the room, softly closing the door behind him.

‘I’m sorry... it was a clash of beliefs, besides I barely said anything.’

‘You declared scepticism about the god’s existence; to a monk...you said this... to a monk. Dear girl, that is just foolish and completely unbefitting.’ He sighs loudly, pressing his palms together and touching them to his forehead.   

‘How long were you listening?’ I ask, surprised.

‘Too long. Although I must say you’ve mastered the fucking, just not the conversation. Perhaps you should pretend to be mute; yes in fact the more I think on it, the more brilliant it seems.’ He’s walked across the room and plonked down next to me on the bed, neither of us bothered by my nakedness.

‘But...my quick wit and flattery are all part of my charm, who wants to rut with a voiceless wench?’ I lean into him, our shoulders touching.

‘Many, if that’s the alternative.’ He grins, his brown eyes flickering momentarily across my breasts, causing me to smile, for it is rare that Del notices my sexuality, following the day we met. ‘Anyway it is of little consequence, for you and I are not long for this place.’ He stares straight ahead, his expression one of sadness.

‘You and I? I ask, even though I know full well what he means, I just haven’t decided how I feel on the matter yet.  

Del chuckles. ‘Reve is in bar asking for you. He was on his way up, but I thought it wise to stop him, best to prevent any embarrassment, what with you both being such delicate flowers.’

I giggle as he pulls his peculiar expression, his lovely mouth forced into a thin grin and his eyes unnaturally wide. ‘That we are...did he say what he wanted?’ I stand and make my way over to the wardrobe, wondering if Del’s eyes are on my bare arse. I pull open the door and look at the meagre contents; it will have to be the plain green gown, for that is all that’s left. I take it from the hanger and spin around to gauge his reaction.

He’s grinning, his eyes not leaving my face. ‘I imagining he either wants to fuck you or converse with you, or if you’re extra lucky...both!’

I sigh heavily, I had hoped it would be news of Kalcha. ‘Very well. But first let me wash away the smell of zealous monk ... I’ll be down shortly.’ I wink at him and head into the bathroom.

The tavern is quiet, there are only a few patrons and a couple of girls lingering, trying to hook a punter for a quick afternoon turnover. There is no sign of the monk; he must have forgone the offer of a free drink.  

Dazzling sunlight nudges its way through the murky windows, shrouding the room in a warm glow, the atmosphere relaxed and inviting, I feel part of me will miss this place. I spy Reve propping up the bar and drinking deeply from his cup. He looks almost smart, dressed in a navy blue waistcoat and matching britches, his hair slicked back and shining, yet his array of visible weapons affirms his lethality. He’s leering at me in the filthy way that he does, my breath catches in my throat but I meet his gaze and smile. Gliding over to him I take the cup from his hand, our eyes fixed on one another, his smirk spreading across his wrinkled face. I lift the cup to my lips and take a drink of the booze; its rum...he has taste. We’re still staring at one another, oblivious to everyone else in the room.

The sound of someone clearing their throat loudly pulls my eyes away from the enigmatic Captain and I notice Bailey for the first time, his handsome face a picture of impatience. I giggle and draw away from Reve, handing him back the cup. Bailey continues. ‘Touching as it is to watch you two eye fuck, we are in fact on a time limit ‘ere, Captain.’  He looks away from the back of Reve’s head and gazes at the half naked Nila as she struts past, she makes sure to give me a withering look, I’m not sure if I should laugh or bawl so I decide not to react.

 I can still feel the Captains eyes on me, studying me. ‘I need you to make a list.’ He growls, and then moves his attention to Mara behind the bar. ‘I need parchment, and a quill, immediately.’ He all but snarls the words at the beautiful woman.

 She is not accustomed to such aggression, for men usually indulge her, so she is visibly shocked by the abrupt order, but she coos. ‘Certainly.’ and disappears into the back room.

‘A list of what?’ I ask

‘Every herb and fungus needed to tranquillise each breed of dragon.’ He knocks back the remainder of his rum and slams the cup down on the bar. ‘And anything else that may come in useful.’

‘That will take awhile; I mean there are a lot of combinations.’ I lament, just as Mara reappears; she places the parchment, ink and quill in front of me and quickly re-fills the Captains cup. He does not thank her for the action, so she makes a face behind his back, and quickly saunters off to serve an actual patron.  

‘Well you best get on with it then, haven’t you?’ His voice raised and his diminutive patience faltering.

‘My husband...have you..?’ I try to ask, only to be rudely cut off.

‘List!’ He bellows pointing to the table behind me. 

I tut loudly and snatch up the writing tools.

‘When you’ve finished give it to Bailey so he can source what he can.’ He mumbles, staring carelessly at my tits.   

I nod, move towards the bench and begin the arduous task of recalling everything from memory.

I’m about half way through when Del appears with a jug and cup in hand. ‘Drink?’ He says, flopping down into the chair opposite me.

I know I should not, as the task of recalling six different combinations consisting of a minimum of eight different plants is difficult enough without having my senses blurred. But it is mind numbing work, so surely a little drink will be beneficial?

‘Del you are bad! Besides you prohibit drinking on the job’

‘Yes, well that was when you worked for me. I’m not sure if you’ve grasped this, but you belong to Reve now.’ He pushes the jug towards me.

‘Yes I follow. But Kalcha is almost as well versed in these things as I, surely he can give him everything he needs?’

He chuckles and pushes the jug further towards me. ‘Oh Ros, you are sweet. But I don’t believe your husband can give Reve everything he needs.’ He raises his brow in quick succession, grinning like a jester.

 ‘He will free Kalcha, won’t he?’ I cannot help but worry.

‘Leron is a respected name, a respected trapper. Reve needs his experience as much as he needs your knowledge. If Kalcha agrees to join us, then he will be freed, you needn’t worry about that.’

It fills me with a certain pride to hear people speak of him in such a way. He has been out of action for the best part of a year, excursions costing too much to assemble in relation to profits. So I have forgotten how notoriously skilled he is. I smile my appreciation for Del’s words. ‘So, tell me, where do you fit into this?’ I reach for the jug and pour myself a drink, holding it to my nose and savouring the rums rich scent.  

He looks away from my inquisitive gaze and down at his hands. ‘I’m the Quarter Master; Reve needed me to rally the crew, or what was left of them, as many have gone bad over lack of bullion. The Captain’s social pleasantries are somewhat lacking, and as you know I am a diplomatic soul.. a lovable scamp, if you will!’

I giggle at his dramatic bearing. ‘And did your charm work?’

He rubs at his face, as though hassled, and then lets out an almighty sigh. ‘There are seven or so loyal to the Captain, so I knew they wouldn’t desert. I managed to talk another eleven round, but we’ve lost over a third in total...perhaps this is a good thing, separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. I believe that the men left are dependable.’   

 I smile, nod and continue with my questioning. ‘How does the Quarter Master, of Bastue’s Bitch end up running a brothel?’

‘Oh, there was a slight altercation. Nothing really. It was very silly. And an opportunity...’ He pauses and smirks. ‘Presented itself here. I knew he would send for me eventually though, he was in need of my skills, to sell this wild scheme to the men.’   

‘How can you sell an idea that you’re not fully behind?’ I ask, deciding I shall question him later on this slight altercation.

‘Indeed. But Reve is adamant and his enthusiasm is somewhat contagious. Besides he may be many things, but he is no fool. He lives his life for riches, and until recently he has always delivered. You see Palor, North Tasbrie, Saharbic, none of them are trading as much now, and so foreign ships are few and far between. This dragon has come along in the midst of a drought and replenished Reve’s thirst for adventure, arguing has proven fruitless... We are sailing at first light and that is that.’ He slumps back in his chair and gazes off towards the bar, his eyes following Mara as she skilfully fills several cups with liquor, sliding them across the bar to the two waiting patrons.    

I knock back the rum, and pour myself another. ‘Say all this goes to plan, we find the ship and take the dragon, then what? Does Reve have contacts? Does he know of anyone in the market for such a creature?’

He laughs. ‘Dragons are a sought after weapon are they not? Whoever wields the biggest weapon holds the most power, and power is what makes this fucking world go round. Believe me, finding a buyer is the easy part.’  

 I nod in agreement, refilling my cup and drinking deeply, my head beginning to feel fuzzy.  

‘Now if you’ll excuse me, there’s something that requires my urgent attention.’ He stands, ruffling my hair as he walks by, heading in the direction of the bar. I watch as he tries to vault over the bar, his hand slipping under the wet surface causing him to plummet ungainly to the floor behind, Mara immediately rushes to his aid laughing hysterically at the calamity. She drags him to his feet and kisses him all over his face, giggling. He’s pulling her towards the backroom; I look away and swallow the bitterness caught in my throat. 

I shake my head and stare back at the half completed catalogue, trying in vain to remember if its Fluxroot or Hogweed required for this formula. I decide it is neither and scrawl down Fellenwort, although not one hundred percent sure on my conclusion. I polish off the cup of liquor, my head beginning to spin; drinking on an empty stomach is never wise.  

By the time I’ve finished daylight has been replaced by glowing sconces, dusk is upon us. I look around the tavern but cannot see Reve anywhere. I feel inebriated from the rum so I blink my eyes, trying to clear the fuzzy outline from my vision. Bailey is seated by the bar with Nila between his legs; she looks so tiny entwined with his giant frame. He’s running his hand across her buttocks and playfully slapping them; the tremble of her arse cheeks through her sheer gown is mesmerizing. I push my chair back and make my unsteady way over.

‘Reve said to give you this.’ I say holding out the parchment for him.

He turns his head lazily towards me, unimpressed by my interruption. He reaches out and takes it. ‘Cheers.’ He says his eyes scanning the list, and then he looks back to Nila and sharply says. ‘Off.’ He pats her bottom one last time, before pushing his great hulking form from the stool, knocking her back a few steps as he does so. ‘Tell Reve I’m on it.’ His eyes back on the list studying it hard.

‘Where is he?’ I ask, scanning the room.

‘Having a shit.’ He mumbles, his concentration fully on the parchment.       

‘Oh, lovely.’

‘I’ll see you at sun-up.’ He pulls his focus and nods at me and then Nila before turning to leave. I’m left staring at her livid little face, preparing myself for a barrage of rudeness.

She crosses her arms and narrows her eyes. ‘Thanks a fucking lot! Ya just cost me a trick....ya owe me three bullion!’ She holds her hand out to me expectantly tapping her foot.

I snort. ‘Don’t be stupid.’

‘I’m stupid now am I?’ She snaps through gritted teeth.

‘Nila this is ridiculous....Look I’m leaving tomorrow, can we at least be civil?’ I refuse to beg, but perhaps I should make an effort.   

She pouts and remains silent.

‘I understand that friendship is out of the question, but I don’t want any hard feelings. What happened happened, and... I probably did read too much into it....it was the rum’s fault!’ I cock my head on a side and give her my pleading eyes.

She sniggers and rolls hers in retort. ‘Where ya going anyway?’

I pause for a few moments wondering how best to answer. ‘Captain Reve requires my expertise, we’re sailing at sunrise.’

‘Your expertise ey? Randy bastard can’t go a few weeks without a woman on the end of his cock?’ She laughs brashly.

‘It’s not like that.’  

‘Sure.’ She nods derisively. ‘He’s taking you, a whore, with him for your fucking conversational skills.’

My pride wants her to know the truth, that I am more than just a vessel for his gratification. But it is for the best that she remains oblivious. So I grin and say. ‘True. He is a man of few words, and a man of enormous insatiability.’   

‘I’m fucking jealous! You’re free of this stifling place and out on the open sea.’ Her eyes dull over in reverie, so I surmise that she is truly envious. Although in theory my situation has not improved, I am still a whore, just a more exclusive one.

‘So, are we ok then?’

She laughs in the insolent way that she does. ‘Sure, whatever.’ She shrugs, and stares off over my shoulder. ‘Ere he comes now, bring me back summat nice won’t ya!’ And with that, she bolts.

Reve is stood behind me, his body pressed firmly to mine, his hot breath on my cheek; he smells heavily of rum and sweat.  I close my eyes and moan softly as he wraps his arm around my waist and grasps a hand full of my dress. ‘I take it you’re done.’ He rumbles heavily in my ear.

‘Yes. I gave the list to Bailey; he says he’s on it.’ I turn my head to the side so my nose is touching the coarse bristle on his cheek and I can stare into his immersing eyes.

‘Good girl.’ His dirty, unnatural smile breaks out and my body quivers. ‘Now, should we address the small matter of your husband?’

I exhale, suddenly remembering Kalcha’s existence and nod hastily.

 ‘Since you’ve been more than accommodating, I shall take action at once.’ He grabs my arse firmly and growls.

I squeal and press myself harder against him, contemplating asking him to postpone Kalcha’s release, so we can take our lewd display upstairs. But realise that would be untoward, given the fact Kalcha is in this position because of my previous self-indulgence. ‘Yes, let us take action immediately!’ I cry.

He squeezes my buttock cruelly and backs away. ‘Go upstairs and wait my return.’ He commands, moving around to face me.

‘I will do no such thing, I’m coming with you. I’ll be damned if Kalcha learns of my situation from anyone other than myself. It will be break his heart, and I cannot imagine you being sensitive to the issue.’ I scowl hard at his tanned face, waiting for him to castigate.

But to my surprise he grunts impassively and says ‘Very well.’ He moves behind the bar, swaying as he goes, and knocks heavily on the door to the back room. ‘Del!’ He bawls.

They’ve been in there for hours, administering a lingering goodbye. The flimsy door eventually jerks back to reveal Del, sweaty and dishevelled, his shirt unbuttoned and his lean chest on display. He rests casually against the frame, looking down at the Captain. I crane my neck to see if I can catch a glimpse of Mara, my need for a potion growing, but it’s very dark in there so I cannot make her out. His big eyes look blood shot; he blinks rapidly and rubs at them with his knuckles. They exchange several quiet words, ending with Del nodding and retreating back into the darkness.

I follow Reve out into the warm and hazy evening, and walk beside him, in silence through the streets of Vesale.  

It’s not long before the great stone archway of the gallows looms from the cluster of buildings; I’m sweating with every step I take, as we draw closer to the jail, closer to Kalcha. I feel sick to my stomach. The gravity of my circumstance and how seedy it has become suddenly hit me.

The gallows are deserted but well lit. The statues of the gods are illuminated by giant fire pits, positioned at their marble feet. I find my gaze lingering on the beautiful form of Freisa; her hair is flowing freely behind her while her hands rake through its luscious thickness, and her gown exposes one of her ample breasts as well as most of her stomach. Her serene face watches me as I make my way across the courtyard, although she is posed for seduction her expression is one of kindness. Perhaps she recognises my plight, she is The Whore Goddess after all. There is something eerie about staring into the face of a goddess, I have never paid much heed before, suddenly I feel extremely small. I tear my eyes away, feeling a chill travel up my spine despite the warm evening and my previous sweats, I shudder.

We reach the top of the soaring steps and Reve grasps the handle of the jail door and shoulders it inwards.

The ruddy dwarf is sat behind his desk, still staring at his book, our presence insignificant to him.

‘Honac you ginger bastard!’ The loudness at which Reve delivers this is so great that it causes me to jump.

The dwarf’s attention is now fully on the Captain and a wide grin spreads across his broad features. He quickly leaps from his seat and trudges across the flagged floor towards us. He reaches up and grasps Reve’s upper arms. The two men stand studying one another in silence, until Horac says in a weary tone ‘By the gods you are still one ugly fuck.’

‘Ha!’ Reve bellows, shrugging off his grip and belting him on the arm with such force it causes me to flinch; the dwarf does not move. ‘I see Lord Soren has made use of you.’

‘It was either this or the stocks.’ He says listlessly, momentarily glancing at me. ‘What brings you to this side of town? A bit far from the docks isn’t it?’

Reve laughs gruffly. ‘Do you miss it?’

Horac sighs heavily and stares off wistfully into the distance. ‘Every damn day, Captain. How long has it been?’

Reve nods his head in a knowing manner. ‘Eleven months.’

The dwarf whistles. ‘Is that all? Feels like a lifetime.’

‘I may have a proposition for you. But first..Kalcha Leron.’

The dwarf stares blankly at him for several moments. Then his attention moves to me, looking me up and down slowly, his expression still vacant. ‘Ah. The big bastard, who beat on the boy that fucked his wife. Yes now I remember, and if my memory serves me right, you’re said wife.’ His face is still impassive regardless of his crass words.

I can feel my cheeks burning and shame covering me in a hot thin layer of sweat. I glance quickly at The Captain to observe his reaction, but he hasn’t flinched, his face still set in its natural grim state.

 ‘I need to speak with him.’ He grunts, completely disregarding Horac’s account of my dishonour.

‘This way.’ He signals for Reve to follow and I fall in beside, but the dwarf holds out his thick arm, blocking my way and coolly says. ‘Not you.’

‘What?’ I snap in confusion. Glancing at Reve for help, which he sends in the form of a shrug.

‘You wait here.’ Then he turns to Reve. ‘Fourth cell on the left, I’ll stay here and keep an eye on this one.’

I look at both of them flabbergasted. ‘By the love of the gods, what do you think I’m going to do?’ I yell in exasperation.  Glaring at the heavily armoured, brutal looking men, then down at my slight defenceless frame.

‘I don’t know, and that is exactly the problem. You look unpredictable.’ He narrows his eyes and stares at me, hard like he’s trying the spy the very essence of my soul.

‘You’re an arsehole.’ I say flatly, equalling his hard stare.

‘And you have proven my point.’ His tone is flat and dry and I want to hit him.

I shake my head in disbelief and watch Reve disappear through the dark portico. My heart is hammering in my chest and I have to blink away tears. All the horrible scenarios are running through my head of what Reve will disclose, all the seedy exploits of my dirty fate. He already thinks of me as sullied, so how will he see me now? When he knows what I truly am? But what does it even matter? He despises me anyway, perhaps this will bring him some joy, to know that retribution has been served. I turn my back on the damned dwarf, for he will not see me cry.

Horac and I wait in silence, besides the sound of my pitiful sniffling, which I scold myself inwardly for. It feels like an age before the sound of boots on stone echoes through the passageway. I spin around expectantly, awaiting the owner’s arrival. I am not sure how I feel, is it excitement? Dread? Or a strange sickening combination of the two?

Reve appears in the dark entrance, his face inscrutable. ‘Let him out.’ He commands. ‘I’ll pay the fine.’

I breathe a great sigh of relief and despite my nervousness smile widely. ‘He said yes!’ I gasp.

Reve looks at me and nods grimly. ‘Of course he said yes. I doubt he wants to spend another second  in this rathole, especially with the company he’s had to endure.’ He smirks at the dwarf as he says this.

‘Fifty Bullion.’ He says dully. ‘But anymore of your impudence and I’ll bump it to eighty.’ 

The Captains tuts and says. ‘Do you take credit? Before you answer, hear my proposition.’

The dwarf’s expression is completely unchanged. He strolls back around the desk and climbs into in his seat, Reve perches on the edge of the desk and they begin their hushed discussion. I pace across the foyer biting my nails, cursing both of them and their lack of urgency. The prolonged upshot is killing me, are they doing this on purpose? They are, I bet they are.

‘Good man!’ Reve bellows smacking Horac hard on the back;  he stands and gazes at me his shark like smile split across his face. ‘Right, onwards and upwards!’ He stands and moves towards me.

Horac pushes back his chair and heads in the direction of the cells, unhooking the heavy keychain from his belt as he goes.

 Reve is stood very close to me and the proximity is suddenly unnerving. ‘What did you say to Kalcha?’ I whisper.

 He leers at me, usually a warm sensation would shroud me. but right now I feel very uncomfortable. ‘I didn’t tell him that you’re a whore, if that’s what you’re worried about?’ He rasps in my ear. I should feel relieved but I don’t. Time is passing so slowly and my face must be a frozen picture of panic. I can feel Reve’s eyes bearing into the side of my face, it’s as if he’s enjoying my torment.

Then I see him, his tall broad frame looms in the archway, his face cast down towards the stone. His sandy braid hangs over his right shoulder, his clothes filthy and his hands still shackled. I hold my breath waiting for him to lift his head and notice me, so I can look into his familiar eyes. He trudges further into the light and slowly raises his head. My face breaks out into a big smile, feelings of comfort come flooding towards me, this man stood before me in shackles is a reminder of everything I once was.       

No comments:

Post a Comment